EMPOWERED COMMUNITIES REGIONS
Empowered Communities currently spans nine regions across urban, regional and remote Australia.
Empowered Communities is fundamentally about facilitating place-based development. A critical component of this focus is a regional place-based approach covering the nine regions and including provisions for other regions to opt in down the track. The nine Empowered Communities regions are:
- Cape York, Queensland
- Central Coast, New South Wales
- East Kimberley, Western Australia
- Goulburn-Murray, Victoria
- Inner Sydney, New South Wales
- Ngaanyatjarra Pitjantjatjara Yankunytjatjara (NPY) Lands, Central Australia
- North East Arnhem Land (NEAL), Northern Territory
- West Kimberley, Western Australia
- Murray Bridge, SA
The Empowered Communities reforms will only be pursued on an opt-in basis— anything else would be an anathema to this empowerment agenda. This applies to both organisations within our regions as well as additional regions that may want to opt in. Over time, as success is demonstrated, it can be expected that more leaders, organisations and places would opt in and benefit from the reforms established.